South Africa’s youth unemployment rate is alarming with 53.8% among the 15-24 age group in 2018. This is the worst rate of youth unemployment in the world. Current measures to reduce unemployment are clearly inadequate. But evidence from countries such as Argentina and India, suggest that guaranteed employment policies have immediate, positive benefits. These include reducing poverty and hunger, and strengthening social inclusion, especially for women and other disempowered workers.
We need to focus on Social Capital which is the value that can be created through networking and trust built within and between people and organisations.
We have already established tight connections to the Bloekombos community, for skills development and further integration and job opportunities.
To uplift Farm land/equipment to a fully sustainable farm which will provide 100 unemployed youth, per year, from the Bloekombos community, an opportunity to:
• Upgrade their current education status
• Upskill their current skills development
• Free accommodation whilst within the 12-month programme
• Receive a monthly stipend
• Guaranteed a job placement at the end of the programme
• Offering hands-on education/skill development to the unemployed youth in Bloekombos
• Education provided will be provided together with on “Campus” training facilities
• Water related education to follow the goals of the SOS NPO